Thursday, July 8, 2010

Guest Post: Anthropologie Hidden Hummingbird Tank DIY



I am obsessed with chapstick, and am constantly losing my latest stick. I own 27 cardigans, and the collection shows no signs of slowing. My husband and I love visiting national parks, and want to see them all someday. I am usually overdressed. I think shoes might be the most important part of your outfit. I love moody music and YA fantasy books. The 4th of July is definitely my favorite holiday, and believe strongly that fireworks should never be taken for granted. My childhood (and current) dream is to restore a historic home. I like to think I am witty, and I think I am much more funny in person than I am in writing.

you can find my bargain style finds here | überchicforcheap.blogspot.com

*********************************************


I started coveting this Anthropologie Hidden Hummingbird Tank months ago. I love the floral neckline so much it hurts.


{Hidden Hummingbird Tank - $78}


As soon as I saw that price tag I started plotting ways to make one of my own. Then I remembered this ridiculously awesome fabric that has been in my mother's fabric stash since about 1991.


It's a single side floral printed fleece. My mom said she bought it to make my little first grade self a sweat suit. So awesome.

I cut the flowers and leaves out to use in my design. I also cut leave shapes out of the solid blue portion of the fabric.


I laid the pieces out to decide what order I wanted them in. Then I pinned the shapes onto the shirt so I could begin sewing.


I used this button + carpet (heavy gauge) thread I had hanging around to hand sew the pieces onto the neckline. (I have no idea where this came from or why one would use thread on carpet. But it was in my Grandma's thread collection that I was lucky enough to inherit, along with my adjustable dressform. I owe almost all of my sewing equipment and fabric stash to the women who came before me. end tangent.)

I used a crew cut tee from wet seal that I got on clearance, so I cut out the neckline in a scoop. If I were doing it again, I would snag a scoop or v-neck tee to begin with. Here are some good options:



{Casual Scoop Neck - $2.50 | Basic V Neck - $3.50 | Basic Mid Scoop - $2.50}


I added stitching around the edges while sewing the pieces on. Then, I added beading to the flowers.


Here's the finished product:


{photos courtesy of Jackie Norris}


I am sort of in love with it. It took me a long time to do, but I couldn't be happier.

What do you think? Anything you are craving to make this week? Leave a comment!

{Thanks for having me, Amy!}

5 comments:

Katie | FashionFrugality.com said...

This looks GREAT! Totally bookmarking and going to attempt at some point in the future! :)

Unknown said...

Wow! That shirt looks great. I think I should head upstairs and do something productive with my sewing machine.

Leslie Richman said...

That's really impressive!!

Genavee said...

That looks amazing!

madison holmes said...

LOVE it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails